IDEAS was founded in 1992 by scientist and engineers from The European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) and the University of Oslo. Today, the team has a strong background in applied physics, radiation detector instrumentation and electrical engineering. Since its start the products are full-custom made integrated circuits and sub-systems for many types of radiation detectors and imaging systems. The products are used in medical imaging, industrial scanning, nuclear science and astrophysics. The integrated circuits feature low-noise and low-power amplifiers for the readout of, for example, cadmium zinc telluride (CZT), cadmium telluride (CdTe), thallium bromide (TlBr), silicon, photomultiplier tubes (PMTs), multi-channel plates (MCPs) and avalanche photo diodes (APDs), silicon photomultipliers (SiPMs), and multi-pixel photon counters (MPPCs). For space applications, the circuits are designed radiation hardened against latch-up and single-event upset. Recent ASIC designs support spectroscopic photon counting, dose monitoring, continuous waveform sampling, cryogenic operations, and infrared focal-plane arrays.
Thanks to our customers, we have background knowledge and design heritage in integrated circuits and subsystems. Design heritage is important, because it reduces the time and risk in new development projects. Our circuit design have delivered tangible results in the following space missions and instruments
- SWIFT, 2004, burst alert telescope (BAT)
- CREAM, 2004-2010, several balloon flights
- AMS/AMS2, 1997/2011, Charged particle tracker and ring image Cherenkov detector (RICH)
- PAMELA, 2006, Charged particle tracker
- STEREO, 2006, Particle and ion spectrometer (PLASTIC)
- SuperAGILE, 2007, Gamma ray spectrometer
- ASIM, 2015, Miniature x-ray and gamma ray sensor and spectrometer (MXGS)
- FOXSI, 2012/2014, X-ray telescope and spectrometer
- CALET, 2015, Calorimeter spectrometer
- ASTRO-H, 2016, Soft gamma ray imager (SGD), hard x-ray imager (HXI)
- BepiColombo, 2015, MPPE, BERM radiation monitor, ELENA instrument
- DAMPE, 2015, Dark matter particle explorer, high energy calorimeter and tracker
- POLAR, na, Multi-anode photomultipliers
IDEAS has also design heritage in applications other than space. Some of IDEAS design heritage is protected by non-disclosure agreements (NDAs).